It’s #NationalBakeWeek! Celebrate it with Chocolate! RECIPE ALERT! This recipe is in honor of Mike’s mother, Marjorie Johnson. This was a Johnson family favorite that has been converted to GF.
Kristens Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
Yield: one 9 x 13 cake pan
● 2-1/2 cups Kristen’s All Purpose Light Flour Blend or Wholesome Wholegrain Flour Blend
● 1 tsp xanthan gum
● 1 tsp baking powder
● 1 tsp baking soda
● 1/2 tsp cinnamon
● 2 TBL cocoa
● 1-3/4 cup sugar
● 1/2 cup buttermilk (see note below)
● 1 cup oil
● 2 eggs
● 2 tsp vanilla
● 2 cups shredded zucchini (remove the skin and seeds)
● 1/2 to 1 cup of chocolate chips
● 1 to 2 TBL of sugar
Directions: Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. In an electric mixing bowl mix together the wet ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, and then combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix together. Pour the batter into the greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle the top with granulated sugar and chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for approx 35 minutes, or when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
● Add 1/2 TBL vinegar to 1/2 cup of milk or dairy alternative, stir to create buttermilk.
● May also be made into cupcakes